Situated by the side of the busy A66 just outside Penrith in Cumbria, is a stone tower known as the Countess Pillar.
Standing around 4m tall and on a small hill beside the busy road, this memorial will go un-noticed by many passing motorists heading towards the M6.
The Countess Pillar marks the place nearby where Lady Anne Clifford, Countess of Dorset, bade farewell to her mother Margaret on 2 April 1616, at the gateway to Brougham Castle.
Brougham Castle is around 1km from the site of the Pillar.
On top of the pillar are three sundials and an inscription.
For more information please visit Heritageandhistory.com