Towneley is owned, managed and financed by Burnley Borough Council
Towneley was the home of the Towneley family for over 500 years but in 1901 it was sold to Burnley Corporation.
The family departed in March 1902 leaving behind a building almost completely empty except for a couple of tables and a few pictures in the chapel.
The park was opened to the public in June 1902 and in May 1903 the Great Hall and the south wing of the house were opened for a temporary art exhibition.
Today, the Museum houses a variety of displays encompassing; Natural History, Egyptology, Local History, Textiles, Decorative Art and Regional Furniture.