The church of St John the Evangelist, Lancaster, was begun in 1754.
Finance was provided by the Corporation of Lancaster, Queen Anne’s Bounty, and local residents, and the church began its life as a chapel of ease of the Priory.
In 1784 the west tower, designed by Thomas Harrison, was added.
In the tower is a treble bell of 1747 by Rudhall of Gloucester, and a tenor bell by Mears of Whitechapel of 1846. Both came from the parish church.
Further information is available via the church website.