High above the centre of Whitehaven on the west coast of Cumbria is this clock on the former market hall.
Erected in 1880 it was designed by Thomas Lewis Banks.
This building replaced one designed by Robert Smirke who also designed a number of other local buildings. However, is more known the Royal Mint, Tower Hill and the main block and facade of the British Museum.
Currently the building is used as the Tourist Information Centre