Hinderwell is situated not far from Scarbrough on the North Yorkshire Moors.
The five villages of Hinderwell, Port Mulgrave, Runswick Bay, Staithes and Dalehouse constitute the Parish of Hinderwell.
Mentioned in the Domesday Book as Hildrewell, a derivation of Hilda’s Well. A name taken up after St. Hilda, the Abbess of Whitby after she became involved in ending a drought whilst passing through the parish.
Situated at the junction of the A174 and Runswick Lane in Hinderwell, the memorial looks towards the High Street.
The memorial is incorporated within a clock tower, built of york stone. It features names from both the First and Second World Wars.
It is thought the clock is wound by hand
The memorial was unveiled during a ceremony on Armistice Day, 11th November 1921. – Event picture >>