Installed just below the bell cote of St Mary’s Church in Gosforth is this clock.
Gosforth is situated just inland on the west coast of Cumbria south of Egremont.
Hand wound by two people on a weekly rota the clock was officially started at 10.30 on the 6 October 1897.
An inscription near the the clock mechanism reads ‘ This clock is the gift of Ellen Jane Gordon of Ingleden Kent in memory of her brother Col. Winsor Parker’.
A card inside the clock door shows that the clock is maintained by Wm. Potts & Sons Ltd of Leeds.