University of Cumbria  – Clock
Posted by on Apr 27, 2010 in Building clocks | 0 comments
1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (No Ratings Yet)

Some say that time is ticking away on the future of the University of Cumbria.  This may or may not be true however this clock has seen some changes over it’s lifetime.

University of Cumbria – Clock

University of Cumbria – Clock

Built in the early 1860’s the building was originally a workhouse called the Carlisle Union Workhouse.

The first brick was laid on 13 April 1863 and the architects were Lockwood and Mawson of Bradford.   The cost for a building which occupied six acres of a twelve acre site was just £13,500.

The first world war saw the first use of the buildings as a military hospital from October 1917 to June 1919 during which time nearly ten thousand soldiers were treated.

The conversion of the workhouse buildings to serve as a muncipal hospital complementing the Cumberland Infirmary was completed in 1938.

From 1948 the building became the General Hospital for Carlisle,  later becoming the City Maternity hospital.

This clock is situated high on the campus building on Fusehill Street, Carlisle.

Further information

North Cumbria University Hospital – NHS Trust