Situated behind a glass and steel frontage this clock is part of a £66m development called The Mall in Blackburn.
The tower provides acess to the car parks of The Mall shopping centre.
Positioned on King William Street the clock is hoped to be a focal point for the rebuilding of confidence in the local economy.
The clock has three faces electronically locked so they always tell the correct time.
A number of clocks have been on this site over the years. Built in 1848 the original clock tower indicated lunchtime by the raising of a brass ball at noon and lowering it an hour later.
A concrete clock tower was installed on the site in the mid 1960’s following the demolishing of the Victorian tower and adjacent market hall in December 1964.
Pictures of the area in the 1960’s are available on the Blackburn now and then website
Blackburn market history available here