Looking over the main entrance to St Magnus Cathedral in Kirkwall is this clock, often missed by visitors.
The mechanism of the clock is in the tower in a place called – Cowper’s Ha. It is the room below where the bells are hung.
It is the duty of the Cathedral Stone Mason to wind the clock every working day.
Here is an image of John Windwick winding the cathedral clock in September 1985 from the Orkney Image Library.
The clock can be up to ten seconds fast each day.
The original clock was built by Hugh Gordon, an Aberdeen Clockmaker, in 1761. It is now on display in Tankerness House Museum.
More details about Orkney can be found on Spirit-of-orkney.com